1. Scavenger hunt
See if you spot:
- Flowers. What type?
- Leaves. Which tree are they from?
- Insects. Is it a ladybird? A dragonfly? A butterfly?
- Animal tracks in the ground. Can you guess the animal?
Download our nature scavenger hunt sheet and take it with you when outside and cross off as many as you can.
2. Pooh Sticks
- Stand on the bridge over moving water.
- On the count of three, everyone must throw their pooh stick into the water below. Make sure to remember which one is yours!
- The stick that floats underneath the bridge fastest wins
YHA Borrowdale has a stream and bridge close by, making it the perfect game to play when on holiday at the hostel.
3. Animal spotting
Or any others.
Take a look at our hostels which are great spots for wildlife watching holidays.
4. Pebble painting
Another outdoor activity is pebble painting – a fun and memorable way to finish up a trip to the countryside or coast. Your children will enjoy collecting a bucket full of treasures to transform into their own creative masterpieces. The easiest pebbles to paint are flat and wide, but any pebbles will do the trick nicely. To begin, all you need is a few simple materials:
- Pebbles and stones
- Different colours of paint
- A glass of water
- A mixing dish
Now it’s time for the fun part… painting! Writing “YHA” or “YHARocks” is just an idea, and you can leave them in the hostel grounds for others to find. Remember to tag us in your pics using #YHARocks and #LiveMoreYHA.
5. Journey sticks
6. Nature art
If you have a go at any of these fun outdoor activities, please tag us in your photos using #LiveMoreYHA. We would love to see them.
Discover more about YHA.