Dear splendid pies and hearty casseroles: It was good while it lasted, but the season is changing and so are we. It’s springtime now, and that means one thing… we’re on to springtime recipes. Even though many of our hostels have fabulous cafes serving fabulous food, it is nice to sometimes cook up your own storm. And with many hostels offering self-catering facilities, it’s never been easier to do so. Here are three quick, easy and healthy Springtime recipes, with vegetarian and vegan alternatives. Enjoy!
- Sugar snap peas
- Asparagus- a spring vegetable!
- Baby corn
- Your choice of meat or meat substitute
- Lemon juice
- Your choice of dressing
- Prepare all your vegetables, add a little oil to a pan and add your chosen protein to the pan, cooking until golden and crisp.
- Add the vegetables and cook until soft.
- Add your desired sauce and there you have it- a quick and easy stir fry!
Pesto and sun-dried tomato pasta
- Sundried tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta as per packet instructions.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta with a colander (the self-catering kitchen will have one!)
- Pour the pasta back into the pan and add 2 tablespoons of pesto, the sun-dried tomatoes and seasoning.
- Give it a good stir on a low heat.
- Once heated, plate up and enjoy!
- 100g couscous
- Spring onion
- Your choice of cheese (we recommend halloumi or feta)
- Tip the couscous into a large boil and add the correct amount of boiling water.
- Leave for 10 minutes until the water has dissolved and its light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and add to the couscous.
- Add a teaspoon of pesto and your chosen cheese.
- Plate up and dig in!